What requirements should I fulfill in order to get a job on a river cruise ship?

Each position has different requirements regarding your language skills, experience or professional qualifications. Furthermore, you should have a valid passport and should be physically fit to work on a cruise ship. To prove that, you will have to pass a medical examination by a designated physician. For each position there is a detailed job description which can be made available to you upon request.

How should I proceed in order to get a job on a cruise ship?

There are mainly three steps to your desired position on a river cruise ship. First, you have to apply for that position. Send your CV to hotel@river-jobs.com and don’t forget to specify the position you apply for in the title of your e-mail. If your CV is selected, you will be invited to a face-to-face interview in at our resident offices.. This second step is mandatory in order to receive a position. Candidates who do not participate at the interview are not taken into consideration. From the pool of applicants that have participated in the interview, the most qualified, experienced and motivated will be chosen to form the crew of the new cruising season. The rest of the candidates will remain in the database and will be notified in case a suitable employment opportunity arises.

How long will my contract be?

The length of contract depends, contracts can be from the end of March until the middle of November. You should, however, check the length of contract for your position with our Crewing Agents. Contracts are, subject to satisfactory performance, renewable in the next seasons. You may also choose to work in the Winter season for short-term contracts (2 to 3 months).

How are living arrangements on board?

Food and accommodation on board is free for crew members. These expenses are taken care of by the company so you will not have to worry about bills while working onboard a ship. Living arrangements vary by ship and shipboard position. 

Will I be socially insured during the contract?

Yes. The applicable regulation introduced by the European Union regarding employees who work in two or more Member States shall apply to your contract. You will be registered with social insurance agencies in accordance with Art. 13(!) of Regulation 883/2004. Upon registration of your contract with the Social Insurance Authorities of your home country you will be eligible to receive the European A1, based on which employment benefits can be claimed at your home country.

Do I need to buy a medical insurance for the period I work on board?

No. The company covers the costs for your medical insurance while onboard the ship. Therefore, you do not need to buy a travel medical insurance before joining the ship. The company will, at its expense, insure you with a reputable private insurance company of its choice for the duration of the contract.

Do I have to cover the transportation cost to the embarkation port?

Transportation to and from the ship is usually covered by the company. In most cases, you will get a refund for your ticket to the ship, while the return trip will be organized directly by the company.

Where would I embark?

Each of the cities situated on the banks of the Danube, Rhine, Main or Mosel rivers can be an embarkation port. In most cases, you will embark in Budapest, Passau, Vienna, Köln or Amsterdam.

Do I need any IMO Courses to apply?

No. Given the fact that the ships are cruising on rivers, not on oceans or seas, no IMO (International Maritime Organization) courses are necessary for working on river cruise ships. Please no not send us any copies of IMO documents.